Knitting Kneedles

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Cotton-ese

How sad that I have just now discovered that I love this yarn, this soft pretty Cotton-ese by Lion Brand. How sad because they have discontinued it. I went to Joann's yesterday to get some needles and saw that they had some Cotton-ese that was on clearance (3.00 a ball, not sure what the normal price is/was). I've read on LiveJournal about how LB has already discontinued this, something about not having enough vendors to sell it maybe? Anyway, I bought some red, white, and blue to make 4th of July baby/preemie hats. IT IS SO FREAKING SOFT! So if anyone knows of some other type of cotton yarn out there that I can use in it's place that's NOT discontinued, share :) This stuff is great for these baby hats I have decided because it stretches, unlike what cotton you'd use to make dishcloths, and it's SO INCREDIBLY SOFT! Anyway, I had to share that little bit there :)

I still can't find my camera :( I have a few FO's and WIPS I wanted to post, but that will have to wait until I can find that darn camera. Maybe Kenny (my husband) will know where it is.

So, what type of person/thing do you all enjoy knitting for the most? My favorite is babies. I think because there are so many cute baby things and so many cute babies. Hats, socks, sweaters, burp cloths, you name it, I love to make them. I'd love to hear what others love in that aspect, and why :)

So far, on my charity project, I feel like I haven't done anything. There are five of us in the group now, me, Chris (sometimes, when she isn't working in the clinic), Faye, Kathleen, and Lani. We just taught Lani to knit a little over a week ago, and already she's finished 1 hat and started on another. We've been going for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and Faye has 3 or 4 hats, Kathleen I'm not sure because her daughter just had a baby and she hasn't been there, and Chris has made a ton of hats on her loom. Me? I haven't finished ANY until this past Friday. Now I have two hats done and am working on a third. I guess that's not bad for having started on Thursday night. They are preemie hats that I am knitting in the round using the magic loop method. I got the pattern from http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/premiehat1.html and altered it just a little. I casted on the 48, as it called, and worked the decreases as it called. I am using a size 5 needle for the current hat (used a size 6 for the other) and when I get to the top, instead of weaving the yarn through, I ended with six stitches left, three on each needle. I put one set of three sts on a stitch holder and with the other three sts I started an i-cord. I made it about 2-3 inches long, then bound it off, and went to the other sts on the st holder and did the same thing. Then, to close the gap in the top of the hat, I tied off the two icords. They look adorable, and I hope that whoever gets them thinks they look cute too :) So now this is what I'm obsessing with, this exact hat LOL. When I find another cute one, I'll make a gabillion of those too. And right now, all the hats I make are only going to be red, white, and blue, so that I can donate them for the babies born on or around the 4th of July. I love theme hats and think they'd be great. For Halloween, I think I'll make pumpkin hats, and at Christmas time, I'd like to do little Santa-type hats? What do you all think? Now, if I can stock up on enough of the Cotton-ese before it's all gone, that would be wonderful LOL. I plan to go back to Joann's tomorrow, and also to check out the LB website to see if I can order some from them.

Anyway, that's it for now. Sorry for the babble about the Cotton-ese :)

T