Knitting Kneedles

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Lace Knitting

I've begun.

I attempted Branching Out from www.knitty.com, but have halted it. Because I found another pattern that I think will be more suitable for who I am giving it to. They are both quite similar, both leafy looking projects, but one just seems to ... I don't know... "fit" better, in my opinion. If that makes sense. It's from the Spring/Summer 2005 issue of Vogue Knitting and is the Lace Leaf Scarf. Only I am not making it for a scarf, but for a decorative table runner. The pattern calls for some type of silk, but my LYS didn't have that in their store, and since I'm making it more for decorative, she suggested I use cotton and pointed me to where a suitable cotton was. I bought three skeins of Stork in a pretty yellow color. You can find it here: http://www.spinblessing.com/stork.htm and it is color 3. The photo is actually quite accurate with the color. And it is SO soft. So I'm hoping that the giftee likes it. It is a wedding present for her. Her shower is next week... not sure that it will be done by then, but I will do my best. If not, I'll just bring it in as is in a nice gift bag, then say "But I'm not done, so I need it back before you can have it." However, I will try my darnedest to get it done.

I joined a new yahoo group that Wendy Johnson from www.wendyknits.net started called summeroflace. I'm thinking I could really get in with this lace knitting because it is so pretty, and there are so many gorgeous patterns out there. I'm wanting to make my mom and her twin sister identical lace somethings if I can find something suitable, for their birthday, which is the end of this summer. For me, that means I have to get started rather quickly. I tend to have to tink and frog a LOT with lace knitting, causing me to knit VERY slowly so that I learn not to make a mistake.

As soon as I get some progress going on my current lace project, I'll post a picture. I'm at work right now, so I can't post anything pic wisee :(

OH! I was so excited on Monday to hear from my Secret Pal! YAY! :) :) :) I'm glad I joined up with this, I think it will be a ton of fun :)

T