Knitting Kneedles

Friday, July 29, 2005

Don't let the sadness of the swamp get to you.....

That title is what I tend to say a lot when I get down about something. Not big things, and mostly just to be silly about it.

Right now, my swamp needs to not have the sadness getting to me. Why? Well, because I'm saddened that I was working along happily on my baby blanket for my friend Natalie, when all of the sudden I look at the edge. It's done in stockinette and then knit the first/last five stitches on each row for the edging. In the center, in reverse stockinette is her baby's name. The edge was messed up... I'd done regular stockinette stitch on it for a few rows, but only on one edge. I thought "Ew, that's four rows back... I don't want to rip out four rows.... I could just say that's my personal mark making it "my own" thing or something. I was actually happy with that. Until I realized I had been knitting where I was to be purling and vice versa on the letters. *sob* That's when the sadness filled my swamp and got to me. Like Atrayu, I was sinking. I had to frog 6 rows. So, rather than un-knitting it, I just took the needles out and ripped away, then put the needles back in. I hate that, it's such a let down. There are 32 rows for all the letters, and I was almost half way done with them, which, to me, is a huge accomplishment, since I feel as though I am the slowest knitter on the planet. *sigh* I even had it all worked out... If I did 9 rows a day on weekdays and 20 on Saturday and Sunday, I could finish this blanket by the day she has her baby. Now I'll have to do more rows each day. I like knitting the blanket, I hate frogging the darn thing.

Does anyone know where I got the phrase "Don't let the sadness of the swamp get to you" and who "Atrayu" is? I have no prizes for you if you do, I'm just curious. :)