Knitting Kneedles

Monday, October 10, 2005

The Yarn vs Tracey

The story starts out lovely. I am the star, of course, and am knitting along happily on my sock, proud of myself that I mastered a toe up. Looking forward to the "ease" of short row heels. I have no tinked and frogged and tinked and frogged until I want to singe this yarn so that it no longer is recognizable to it's yarn sisters and brothers. It's not really the yarn's fault, I realize that, but who else is there to blame? The needles? They are just the innocent little guys stuck in the middle.

Me: I HATE YOU YARN! YOU WON'T DO WHAT I WANT!
Yarn: MUWAHAHAHAHA! WE'VE GOT HER FRUSTRATED! KEEP IT UP!
Me: Why won't you just cooperate?
Yarn: Let's work in cahoots with the short row heel instructions and really screw her up!
Me: I give up. You've won round one. Round two is tomorrow and I plan to be better prepared.

I just don't understand these short rows. Well, part of them anyway. I am using Wendy's Generic Toe-up pattern here http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm and have gotten to the part where you have to start increasing the short rows AND IT JUST IS NOT FREAKIN WORKING. I'm a terrible learn-by-reading person, and learn much better with hands on, someone showing me how to do it. Tried the video at www.knittinghelp.com but she doesn't do all that I feel that I need here. I'm pondering going to Stitch n Bitch for the first time tomorrow, have actually been wanting to go for a long time. I wonder if someone might be able to help me. But I don't want them to think I'm just there for the help. If someone has an easy way to make me understand short rows, I'd love you for ever and ever *bats eyelashes*

That's all on my rant for now. I had to put the sock down for tonight for fear that I'd frog the entire thing, and it's not the entire thing that's having issues.