Knitting Kneedles

Monday, January 16, 2006

So last night, after getting bored working on only one project at a time (it truly did last from Jan 1 to Jan 15...that's a record for me LOL) I broke down and started a hat for my baby, Matthew. I got the great idea to use sock yarn for it. Looking back, I think I should have chosen something else, but my goal this year is to finish every project I start, regardless of how tedious it might be to knit a baby hat with sock yarn on size 2 needles. LOL Anyway, I realize that a hat is a nothing project, but I've never made one without having used a pattern before. I figured that since hats are easier for me, it would be a good way to start making up my own things. So I'm using this yarn called Fortissima Colori in a two color blue colorway. It's a dark blue, and a little lighter of a blue. I thought it would stripe, but instead it's looking really cool, with the colors staying all together, so it's a two toned looking hat. I got to thinking about when I have to start decreasing at the top, and came to the realization that it's possible that I could lose that two toned color that is going on right now, and it might start striping or blobbing. So I thought, what if I just knit it as a small tube, with no decreases, then do an i-cord and weave it through about three inches from the top of the hat, and then tie it and bunch the top up? I realize others have done this, I'm sure, but I'm thinking this up on my own, and am very proud of myself :)

Tell me if you think that would work?

Here's what it looks like so far:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com