Knitting Kneedles

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Kablooie!

That's what my tire did today. While I was using it. On the freeway. Making it go 60 mph. Kablooie! Here's what happened.... I'm driving along, singing to the radio and all of the sudden it feels as though I'm driving a helecopter. What the heck? What's going on? I look in the rearview mirror and my car is shaking like crazy and the noise...holy cow! So I pull over to the far right shoulder, as I was in the far left lane. I was so freaked out that I didn't even bother to make sure the freeway was clear. Stupid, I know. But I had to get over and out of the way. Thankfully the freeway was clear enough for me to do that. I get out and look at the tire. The driver's side rear tire is completely shredded. Not even just a flat, but shredded like someone had put it through a grinder. There's rubber things hanging off the side, and I'm standing there, no coat (because I don't wear one...being pregnant and wearing a coat with me just don't work well together) trying to stand sideways so that people can see that a pregnant lady is stuck on the side of the road. Anyone stop? No. So I wait a few more minutes, still no one stopped. I thought I'd try to get in the car and just drive it to the nearest exit, which was just about 200 feet away, to get it off the freeway and find a phone, because of course I forgot mine on the couch as I walked out the door this morning. I got about 50 feet before I realized that wasn't happening. Pulled back over, got back out, stood there in pregnant position again. THREE HIGHWAY PATROL CARS PASSED ME AND NEVER STOPPED TO HELP! Not that it's their problem that I'm stuck on the side of the road, but they didn't have their lights on, they were going with the speed of the rest of the traffic and that made me figure they didn't have anywhere to get to in a hurry and they should have stopped. What if I caused an accident or something? Anyway, that frustrated me. I don't feel as if they were really "patroling" the highway. So finally this truck pulls up behind me and a guy gets out. He goes right to work helping me out, and seems to think nothing of it. I was so impressed. Now, I don't want you all to think that I hold it to the responsibility of the public to take care of me. I'm not like that at all. I just don't know how to change a tire. I plan to learn, that's for sure, but I just happen not to know right now, and had to depend on the kindness of someone else to stop and help me. This guy told me he saw me as he drove past before, but he was going to fast to stop so he got off the freeway, turned around and got back on to come help me. If that's not a good samaritan, I don't know what is. What a great man. His name is Jason and he never once made me feel like a stupid girl for not knowing how to change a tire. He was very polite and considerate that I had no idea what to do. He did the change, and as he was getting ready to swap tires, a highway patrolman finally stopped to see that we were okay. I believe this was a different one than the ones that had passed because as I looked in the windows of the other cars, the UHP drivers were all big guys (or seemingly so) and this was a little guy. He helped get us finished up, and stayed until Jason was just about finished, with his lights flashing so that people would know to be cautious. I appreciated that :) He was also a pleasant guy, and told me he hoped I have a better day.

So I called my husband when I got to work and told him what happened and said I'd be late coming home because I have to get a new tire. Blech. After thinking about it, I realize how lucky I am that I didn't lose control of the car and cause a huge accident. I've heard stories of how tires go out like that, the driver loses control and at 60 mph, that could have been me. Is it because I'm a good driver that nothing happened to anyone or to myself? I doubt that. I think I have an exceptional guardian angel.