Knitting Kneedles

Monday, March 20, 2006

Ultrasound! Baby Update!

I've decided not to knit anything for this baby. The sweater in progress will remain that way or go to someone else. The reason for this? I don't want to knit him a cute little something or other, then have it be too tiny. Because apparently tiny is not currently in his vocabulary. I've been telling people that if they want to see baby pics of my Matthew, they better just see these ultrasound pictures now, because he'll be a full on toddler when he emerges. I'm at 32 weeks currently, and he's already estimated to be 6 pounds 3 ounces. They said "But don't worry, that's plus or minus a pound or so" I said "Can't it be plus or minus a week or two?" They told me no, that they won't change my due date. LOL At least I tried :) And plus or minus a pound or tow? Let's hope if that's the case, they are over estimating, in wich case, at 32 weeks even 5 pounds is still quite big. Especially for my history of having smaller babes. Jessie was 7 pounds 3.5 ounces and Niff was 6 pounds even. I think Jessie was about 19 inches long, maybe 20? Niff was 18 inches long. Not sure how long this one is, I'm sure that's difficult to measure when one is curled up in a ball :) At any rate... YIKES! It's an estimate of 1/2 a pound a week that they are to gain from about here on out, so if that's true, that means three more pounds, that means about a 9 pounds baby. This does make me thankful that I am having the c-section. Pushing out something that big is rather a scary thought. Plus, he's breech, and being as big as he is, I'm quite sure he won't flip on his own to the head down position. The tech that did the ultrasound put the doppler on his head, and I said "Wow, his head is so big" and then she measured it and asked if I have gestational diabetes. I told her no, and asked her if she wanted to know because he's big. She said no, that her doctor who is reading the scans always asks that. I know that not to be true though, because this is my umpteenth scan, and I've had scans with my other babies before, and never have they asked me about gestational diabetes. I just kept that to myself though. No sense arguing about my being right, right? :)

At any rate, just thought I'd share that with you. I'm not sure why I'm so upset about the possibility of a ginormous baby. Any of you who read this and have had babies, how big were they, if I may ask? If they were big, did it bother you? Let me know :)